1.The thief took away the woman's wallet without____________.
A. being seen
C. him seeing
D. seeing him
2He thought that ____________.
A. the effort doing the job was not worth
B. the effort was not worth in doing the job
C. it was not worth the effort doing the job
D. it was not worth the effort by doing the job
3.No sooner____________to bed than he heard a knock at the door.
A. had he gone
B. he had gone
C. did he go
D. he went
4.He could do nothing but____________for the bus____________.
A. wait ... e
B. wait ... come
C. waiting ... coming
D. waited ... came
5. This new clue _______ the policemen and they were more confused by the murder.
6. —It's cold in here. Do you mind if I close the door? —_______.
A. With pleasure
B. Yes, please
C. Of course not
D. Thank you
7. The event ____________ at the time last year.
C. is happened
D. was happened
8. The little girl must have lain there for a long time,____________ ?
A. mustn't she
B. hasn't she
C. wasn't she
D. didn't she
9. The news reporters hurried to the airport, only____________the film stars had left.
A. to tell
B. to be told
10. I admired my classmate Lisa very much. ______ her prettiness, she was smart and helpful.
A. Except for
B. But for
C. Apart from
D. In spite of
11. ____the teacher____at this college last year? Yes, he did.
A. Did, taught
B. Does, teach
C. Did, teach
D. Is, teaching
12. A party is the____________ activity I want to take part in.
13. They will____to Paris next year.
14. pany was the first____________portable radios as well as cassette t