She did her best to stay awake, but the performance was so boring that she just ____ to sleep.
a. dropped in b. dropped out c. dropped off d. dropped down
2. Paul was a very lively child, always in _____.
a. excellent spirits b good spirits c. high spirits d. bright spirits
3. Lily made no attempt to ___ the problem.
a. tackle b. try c. undertake d.achieve
4. The boy began to cry and tears slowly_____ down his face.
a. oozed b. trickled c. dribbled d. leaked
5. On January 1st, many people make a New Year_____.
a. intention b. determination c. dedication d. resolution
6. In this country it is against the ______ not to wear seat belts in the car.
a. rule b. regulation c. law d. order
7. Johnny’s parents always let him have his own _______.
a. will b. way c. wish d. demand
8. Our telephone has been ____ for a month.
a. out of order b. out of line c. out of touch d. out of place
9. She was extremely_____, always ready to agree with other people’s wishes.
a. mellow b. moderate c. adaptable d. supple
10. The woman triple over the uneven pavement and _____her elbow.
a. distorted b. dislodged c. disabled d. dislocated
11. He knew that he couldn’t change anything so he just______ himself to the situation.
a. assigned b. resigned c. retired d. kept
12. Game pie was a(n) ______ of this famous restaurant.
a. singularity b. particularity c. speciality d. originality
13. Mr. Williamson was acting peculiarly and seemed in a funny______.
a. state of affairs b. state of mind c. state of grace d. state of nature
14. The scientists became very excited as they felt they were______ of discovery.
a. on the crest b. on the surface c. on the borderline d. on the brink
15. An _____degree was conferred on the distinguished economist.
a. honour b. honoured c. honorary d. honorable