1 / 22
Vocabulary and Structure
1. The medicine is on sale everywhere. You can get it at _______ chemist's.
A) each B) some C) certain D) any
2. You cannot be _______ careful when you drive a car.
A) very B) so C) too D) enough
3. In general, the amount that a student spends for housing should be held to one-
fifth of the total for living expenses.
A) acceptable B) advisable C) available D) applicable
4. Every man in this country has the right to live where he wants to, _______the
color of his skin.
A) with the exception of B) in the light of
C) by virtue of D) regardless of
5. Housewives who do not go out to work often feel they are not working to their full
A) capacity B) strength C) length D) possibility
6. I hate people who _______ the end of film that you haven't seen before.
A) reveal B) rewrite C) revise D) reverse
7. He's watching TV? He's _______ to be cleaning his room.
A) known B) supposed C) regarded D) considered
8. The old couple decided to ________ a boy and a girl though they had three children
of their own.
A) adapt B) bring C) receive D) adopt
9. The government is trying to do something to _______ better understanding between
the two countries.
A) raise B) promote C) heighten D) increase
10. The newspaper did not mention the _______ of the damage caused by the fire.
A) range B) level C) extent D) quantity
11. The soldier was of running away when the enemy attacked.
A) scolded B) charged C) accused D) punished
12. Had he worked harder, he _______ the exams.
A) must have got through B) would have got through
C) would get through D) could get through
13. Only under special circumstances _______ to take make-up tests.
A) are freshmen permitted B) freshmen are permitted
C) permitted are freshmen D) are permitted freshmen
14. I had just started back for the house to change my clothes _______ I