1. ______ fashion differs from country to country may reflect the cultural differences from one aspect.
A. What B. That C. This D. Which
2. Americans eat ______ vegetables per person today as they did in 1910.
A. more than twice B. as twice as many
C. twice as many as D. more than twice as many
3. Please follow your supervisor’s instructions, or you’ll ______ him.
A. discourage B. offend C. disturb D. bother
4. Luckily, the bullet narrowly missed the captain ______ an inch.
A. by B. at C. to D. from
5. In order to gain a bigger share in the international market, many state-panies are striving ______ their products petitive.
A. to make B. making C. to have made D. having made
6. As far as I am concerned, education is about learning and the more you learn, ______.
A. the more for life are you equipped B. the more equipped for life you are
C. the more life you are equipped for D. you are equipped the more for life
7. It has been announced that candidates ______ remain in their seats until all the papers have been collected.
A. can B. will C. may D. shall
8. Though ______ money, his parents managed to send him to university.
A. lacked B. a lack of C. lacking D. lacked in
9. It is hard for me to imagine what I would be doing today if I ______ in love, at the age of seven, with the Melinda Cox Library in my hometown.
A. wouldn’t have