An Unwritten Constitution
I. Suggested Teaching Plan
Students will be able to:
understand the main idea (the function of an of the government and their relationship in England)of the text;
2. master some related legal terms; understand how the government work
3. conduct a series of reading, listening, speaking and writing activities
related to the theme of the unit.
1st period pre-reading activities (familiar new words, warming-up questions and background information)
2nd period while reading (highlights of the text)
3rd period highlights of the text
4th period after-reading activities
II. Teaching Method(s)
1. ppt or
2. teacher gives lecture mainly or
3. students read, teacher asks questions with detailed explanation or
4. ask students do ppt to do presentation
III. Cultural Background Notes
1. Parliament 议会。指三权分立制的国家的最高立法机关。议会起源于英国。英国议会分上议院和下议院
2.Elizabeth II 伊丽沙白二世。英国女王,1952年登基。
3. 内阁。A group of the most important government ministers, responsible for advising and deciding on government policy
4.House mons 下议院。亦称‘平民院’,由郡、市、自治市的代表组成。
5.House of Lords 上议院。亦称‘贵族院’,由宗教贵族、世俗贵族及一部分苏格兰贵族组成。
6.The gentleman Usher of the Black Rod 黑杖侍卫先生。英国上议院官员,第一个黑杖侍卫是1361年设立的。在议会中他控制陌生人进入,帮助同级贵族之间互相介绍,惩治侵犯王权和蔑视王权的人。
IV. Detailed reading
1. How much do you know about English constitution?
2. Can you guess what the theme of this unit refers to?
3. Can you say something about an of the English government?
the system of laws and basic principles that a state, a country or anization is governed by
a body of fundamental legal and governing principles that evolved over time, finds its strength in generations of acceptance, and is expressed though royal decrees and concessions, statutes, case law, and hallowed tradition.
-- Great Britain has an unwritten constitution.
a king, queen, or similar supreme ruler
the government of a